Sunday 26 August 2018

Australian Professional describes what it's like for Australians to Retire in Bali after living here for 10 years

Bali news and views editor's comments: 
Lawrence dictating newsletter in Maccua account several years ago

This past weekend I asked one of my long term clients who has retired here and purchased several villas for investment income "what's it like to retire in Bali". 

Her answer was extensive and very detailed.
I want to share with other people who are considering retiring in Bali full-time. Enjoy.

Answer to Question" What's it like to retire in Bali" From 10 year Australian resident


I have lived in Bali for nearly 10 years, a choice that crept up on me after years of visiting and holidaying here.

I chose this as a 'retirement' option even though I still had and have business interests and properties in Australia. I can run things from here, visit when I choose, and be free to immerse myself in Bali life.

This morning I was asked by someone I have known a long time in Bali the simple question - What is it like to retire in Bali? That question was posed about one hour ago and as I sat and jotted down power point notes I realized how many things contribute to what has been a wonderful decision.

Let me try to explain. As we age in our western countries we are often treated with less respect by younger people, we are often in danger from predators both in our own homes, apartments or in public transport or on the streets.

In Bali, the locals, mainly Hindu, treat age with respect and caring. They increase their care towards older people. They are delighted to assist physically, mentally and emotionally, with tasks or challenges.

I have a young woman who works in my villa who has been with me since the start. She started as a young 22 year old as a maid to clean, make beds, wash etc. She is now a person I consider to be one of my closest and most trusted friends and is more a Personal Assistant.

The household jobs get done but what assists me most is her ability to make phone calls, organise tradespeople, or bank or other appointments, or anything I throw her way. She keeps the Accounts and pays other staff, she makes me laugh every day, encourages any interests I have, or any project I undertake. She takes care of everything when I am away. She handles all maintenance issues whether I am here or not. She even visits my 3 little dogs in the kennels when I am absent so they do not feel alone. She is one of my anchors here. We treat each other with respect and caring. 

Loyalty is a strong Balinese trait. Treat others with respect and you are repaid a hundredfold.

Bali Dining Out:

I have many good quality restaurants locally, just choose whether one wishes to eat out or have the food delivered. there are casual eateries and classy ones, and all those in between. My choice of what and where.
There are top quality coffee shops and bars, and live music,  to entice one out.

I live in Sanur but can travel easily to Seminyak or Legian to sample their day and night life, their restaurants and shopping. Just find your self a driver you trust and you can go anywhere.
Retirees love walking distance to hundreds of shops restaurants and the beach

I have my own car and drive during the day but choose mostly at night to be chauffeured around at a very reasonable price. Taxis will pick you up at the door, Grab, like Uber, will quote a trip and pick you up. There are good quality bus services. You can be out a great deal of the time or choose a quieter life . Once again, one's choice.

There are many expats living in Bali so you always have people to speak with in your own language if that is what you want. Learning even a little Bahasa opens doors to more friendships with locals. Personal choice.

Supermarkets and their produce have improved greatly over my 10 years here. There is very little you can not access here. big choice to make, to cook or eat out or have a meal or snack delivered.

Quality salons offer all services, be it hair colour or cutting, pedicures, manicure, acrylic and gel nails, all types of massages, facials etc. I choose to have a massage bed at home and have someone come to the villa.


Then I can dive in the private pool after and complete the relaxation side of things. All this at  vastly less cost than you would pay wherever you are living now. In fact, can many of you or your friends indulge in these sorts of things that  I take not for granted, but as necessities of my lifestyle.


I choose to live in a gated complex that has 24 hour security, that makes me feel content as a single woman. I have a person in 6 days a week to clean the pool and another for gardening and maintenance or help with any heavier chores. They become a type of extended family, if you wish.

My family visit me and I visit them. My youngest son married a Balinese girl 5 years ago and took her back to Melbourne and I now have a granddaughter to visit and when she wants to visit her Mum's home place she has that here.

My villa is a quite large but all shape and sizes are available to suits your needs. Some lovely local furniture and comfy leather chairs can turn a villa into a true home. So many wonderful decorative bits and pieces that can be enthralling  and all at affordable prices. You can explore you home decorating senses so inexpensively.

If you are fitness orientated, then join a gym like I have, or play golf or swim or walk on the beach, explore the streets and markets and shops  and all the other activities that are offered here and are enjoyable because of the wonderful climate.

Never forget the climate!! Never much temperature change from day to night.


There is a wet season, where it may rain but is not cold, and this season is a little difficult to determine now with so many climate changes.

What it means to me is that, when I go out, I carry a folded up umbrella and a pair of thongs/flip flops to replace my good shoes. Taxis and drivers take you door to door so not much problem and short lived .

I am only a short flight away from my family and visit whenever I wish. With all the innovations like WhatsApp etc I speak to my children virtually every day, share photos and stories, and that's just using the phone. Email and internet are all there waiting. A good wifi connection is important to consider.

I have coerced my lawyer, doctor, accountant, bank contact person, as well as friends and extended family to download the best apps for communication and we speak whenever we need at no cost. No need to be on a plan for your phone here, just put credit on for your use and top it up easily and cheaply.

There are many television package systems to meet your needs. From Iflix, to Australian channels, the list is enormous at, once again, easily affordable prices. There is nothing on which you have to miss out, be it a movie, a series, news etc.

The Balinese generally love their pets and coddle them so if you want a dog or cat, birds or fish, indulge yourself. The Boarding Kennels are fanastic and extremely clean and caring. And once again, eminently affordable.

Do not forget that living here means you can explore the rest of Indonesia and all of Asia at your leisure. Vietnam, Thailand, Korea, Japan, China etc all so accessible. Try flying to Shanghai and embarking on a cruise to Japan, Korea etc. I spent a great Christmas doing just that.





I chose to buy a long lease on a villa managed by a Management Company. I still have 36 years on that lease. I cannot own land here as a foreigner, but those years will see me out and can be extended up to 99 years at any time.

Just remember, please, you can do just about anything in Bali, as long as you respect the locals, the local laws, their religion and them. You can obtain most things you need, for a price, to be negotiated. Just stay clean and above board and you too can have a great life in Bali. We are blessed to be able to share a country with wonderful people, wonderful climate and fantastic advantages in older life.

If you are interested in a great retirement lifestyle, consider Bali, but choose wisely, through a reputable Western run company. Do not listen to all the advice you will be given by expats in bars etc about ways to make money and ways to  cheat the system. You do not see many expat millionaires here despite all the talk. 

Coming here is choosing a wonderful and enviable lifestyle, and always be aware, we are lucky enough to be permitted to live  in someone else's country. So be happy, safe and warm and pampered.

I highly recommend a Bali escape for your retirement years.

_______________________________________

We thank Ms. E.B. from Australia for a very long and detailed explanation of "What it's like to Retire in Bali"

If the above sounds good to you we are focusing on retirement accommodations and services for baby boomers.


See further information below:
________________________________________
BALI LIFESTYLE AT UP TO 70 % LESS:

You can enjoy this lifestyle for you and your family for up to 70 % less.

Our 14-year-old Bali Company, PT. Bali Affordable Lifestyles International, PT. B.A.L.I. and it's 135 staff can make it happen for you quickly, at minimum cost.


PT. B.A.L.I. and it's 135 staff
We can assist you with everything from long term five year visas, to finding you a home that's perfect for you on our Best Asia Real Estate (B.A.R.E.) High Tech website featuring the latest, high quality, properties at steep discounts. 

When you consider that you can buy a three bedroom, four Bth. Bali Luxury Villa with private pool and positive cash flow of 10% to 20% per yr. for only $158,888, the price is right.



Most importantly when you live here full-time or part-time you may enjoy a cost of living that is up to 70% less than most major cities in the East or West.

In fact, many baby boomers are beginning to retire here in hoards.

We are launching a whole new program for Baby Boomers to enjoy their own private two-bedroom Bali Luxury Retirement Villa for around $200,000 ($2,500 per month) for 80 years. Stay tuned.

TRY FIRST - NO RISK:

If this all sounds too good to be true we invite you to come and stay at our beachfront, complex for 50% off starting as low as $99 per night per couple for a large 450 m² private estate with rice paddy, volcano and ocean views and large 14 m private swimming pool.
50% off starting as low as $99 per night per couple

Alternatively, you could stay in our Bali Luxury Villa in Sanur, a 10-minute walk from the beach for $125 per night.

Contact me direct for further information on any of the recommendations I made above.
Mobile: or WhatsApp: English: 62-8123814014 Bahasa Indonesia: 62-8113864993 Email: lawrenceptbali@gmail.com Skype: baliagents   
Thank You Very Much,
Owner, President and General Manager of 14-year-old Pt. Bali Affordable Lifestyles International (PT. B.A.L.I.). Doing Business as Best Asia Real Estate. His spouse and partner Azizah, is a fully licensed Indonesian Notaris with a master’s degree in Indonesian Law specializing in real estate, corporate and Marital documentation. 
Together they and their 135 professional staff provide a one stop professional, efficient location for Buying, Selling, Leasing and Renting Asian Real Estate.
           They are a Seven-time Consecutive Certificate of Excellence recipient on the Worlds Largest Travel Site. This places them among the top 10 % of hotels and villas listed by Tripadvisor worldwide.
"Recipients, Hall of Fame Award, awarded to only 2 % of the Hotels listed on TripAdvisor World Wide"
Lawrence is also one of Asia’s best-known travel and real estate investment experts. They publish the daily Bali & World News & Views Blog which combined with Bali News and Views Blog has had almost 1,500,000 pageviews. They also publish the Best Asia Real Estate BlogFacebook and Twitter posts. He offers free real estate seminars throughout Asia every quarter. For Free Seminar schedule email to seminarsptbali@gmail.com
     Head Office: Jl. Karangsari # 5, Sanur, Bali, Indonesia 80228 Tel. Office: 62-361-284069 Fax: 62-361-270143,
Mobile: or WhatsApp: English: 62-8123814014 Bahasa Indonesia: 62-8113864993 Email: lawrenceptbali@gmail.com Skype: baliagents   
Disclaimer: All information presented above is considered true and reliable to the best of our knowledge at the time that it was published. Information and prices may change without notice. The owners of PT. BALI AFFORDABLE LIFESTYLES INTERNATIONAL doing business as BEST ASIA REAL ESTATE and PT. BALI LUXURY VILLAS accept no responsibility for incorrect information listed herein. All recommendations may lose value in the future.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Tourism Minster Wants To Crack Down On Illegal Bali Villas

  Published: May 22, 2024 Indonesia’s Minister for Tourism and Creative Economies, Sandiaga Uno, has spoken out about the increase in the nu...